Spouses and domestic partners of students who are studying on Cornell’s Ithaca or Geneva campus have access to many Cornell Health services.
Services for spouses & partners
Services for spouses and partners include:
- Primary Care medical services
- Pharmacy services (prescription medications and self-care items)
- Physical therapy and massage therapy
- Annual flu vaccination
- Allergy shots and immunizations
- Travel services
- Lab testing and X-ray services
Please note: For spouses / partners who have health insurance that is not in network with Cornell Health, it may be more cost-effective to seek care with another medical provider. Please see details below.
Counseling & support:
Student spouses / partners are not eligible for counseling and psychiatry services at Cornell Health. Spouses / partners are invited to use our How to Find an Off-Campus Mental Health Provider (PDF) guide for assistance.
How to get care at Cornell Health
Spouses and partners who do not have a Cornell NetID must request a “sponsored” NetID before being able to schedule appointments at Cornell Health and to access our patient portal, myCornellHealth. Requests should be made at least one week ahead of scheduling a Cornell Health appointment.
To request a sponsored NetID, please email email@example.com.
Spouses/partner’s who are NOT enrolled in Cornell’s Student Health Plan (SHP) must also submit the following information with their request:
- proof of the spouse/partner’s relationship with the Cornell student (i.e., marriage certificate or statement of domestic partnership)
- the spouse/partner’s email address
- the spouse/partner’s insurance card
How to schedule appointments: Please visit our Appointments page for instructions.
Insurance & cost for care
All spouses / partners of students studying on Cornell’s Ithaca or Geneva campus may use Cornell Health's services, regardless of what insurance you have.
Spouses / partners enrolled in Cornell’s Student Health Plan (SHP):
Your copays for Cornell Health services will be consistent with the copay amount you pay at other SHP participating providers ($25 for medical visits).
When you receive medical care at Cornell Health, SHP will be billed as the primary payer for the cost of services received, and you will be responsible for the $25 copay paid to Cornell Health (some tests and procedures may accrue additional charges).
(NOTE: Spouses / partners have a different pay structure than students have when receiving care at Cornell Health. Ithaca / Geneva students pay $10 for most appointments – subsidized care supported by Cornell’s Student Health Fee.)
The cost of your care at Cornell Health will depend on what insurance you have.
- If Cornell Health is in network with your insurance plan, we will bill and submit claims directly to your plan, and you will be responsible for remaining costs (copayment, coinsurance, & deductibles).
- If we are not in network with your insurance:
- It may be more cost-effective for you to seek care with another health care provider that is in network with your plan. When you request a sponsored NetID and provide us with your health insurance information (see above), we can advise you on options.
- If you wish to receive care at Cornell Health, we will submit a claim to your insurance company and see if your insurance will cover any of the costs. You will be responsible for any costs not covered by your insurance. We can also provide you with a receipt for services you pay for so you can submit a claim to your insurance company for possible reimbursement.
Learn more on our Insurance & Billing page.