Mental health referrals
If you would like assistance connecting with a mental health provider off campus, we can help.
Please visit our Mental Health Referrals page to learn how to find an off-campus counselor/therapist and/or a prescriber of psychotropic medications.
We recommend seeing a Cornell Health medical provider before scheduling an appointment with an off-campus provider. Keep in mind that some specialists require a referral from a primary care provider before seeing you, so a visit to Cornell Health may be an important first step in getting care.
A Cornell Health referral to a medical provider in the Ithaca area (or elsewhere) may be appropriate for the following reasons:
- If your physical or mental health needs require services beyond the scope of what we provide at Cornell Health (e.g., specialty care)
- If you want to see a specialist who requires a referral from a primary care provider before providing care
- If you prefer to receive primary medical care or counseling services off campus (or at home)
To discuss or request a medical referral:
- Talk with your Cornell Health medical provider, or
- Speak with a member of our Referrals nursing team (call 607-255-5155)
Finding providers who participate with your insurance
SHP / SHP+ members:
When seeing a non-Cornell provider, Student Health Plan (SHP or SHP+) members will get the best coverage by seeing an Aetna participating provider (i.e., in-network provider). For SHP members, there is typically a $25 copay for medical visits (tests and procedures will cost more), and a $10 copay for mental health visits. SHP+ members have no copay for visits.
SHP & SHP+ also provide coverage for non-participating providers, usually with a $400 plan year deductible and then a 30% co-insurance.
To find participating providers and facilities ...
- Visit Aetna's DocFind
- Enter the zip code for where you want to receive care
- When prompted, select “Student Health Medical Plans / Open Choice PPO” as the plan type
- When you call to make an appointment, ask to make sure the provider is in-network with Aetna Student Health; DocFind is occasionally out of date
Visit Student Health Benefits to ...
If you need assistance, please contact Student Health Benefits at 607-255-6363.
*Please note that referrals are not required by SHP and SHP+.*
Those with private insurance:
It's always a good idea to call your insurance company (the number will be on your insurance card) and ask the following questions about the provider you want to see:
- Does the office / facility participate with your insurance (i.e., is it an in-network provider)?
- If not, what are other options for in-network providers in the area?
- Is pre-authorization required for this visit or test?
- Is a referral or pre-authorization required from your home primary care provider?
- How much will your insurance cover, and how much will you be responsible for?
If we’re closed and you need immediate care ...
Please refer to our Emergencies & After-Hours page for information about accessing care at the hospital or an urgent care provider in Ithaca. You may also call us 24/7 for consultation about urgent concerns (607-255-5155).