Gender Services

Cornell Health provides services and support for transgender students, and for those who are questioning their gender identity and/or are considering gender transition (medically or surgically).

Our providers who specialize in transgender care can provide…

  • counseling and support related to gender identity
  • medical care for the initiation and management of gender-affirming hormone replacement
  • prescriptions for hormones, and syringes (for use at the Cornell Health Pharmacy or elsewhere)
  • high-quality chest binders (available with no copay)
  • recommendations for surgeons who specialize in transgender procedures
  • pre-operative testing and post-operative care (i.e., bandage changing/application and drain removal)
  • letters necessary to have the gender marker on a passport changed, and letters for those traveling with a prescription

Please see our “Frequently Asked Questions” section below for more details.

Establishing care at Cornell Health

We suggest scheduling an initial appointment with a Cornell Health medical provider who specializes in gender identity and transgender care. You will have the opportunity to discuss your physical care as well as emotional and social needs, and any questions or concerns you may have. Medical services are provided under the direction of Anne Jones, MD and Beth Kutler, NP.

To schedule an appointment:

By phone: Call 607-255-5155 and ask for a Gender Services appointment.
Online: Log in to myCornellHealth and …

  • Click "appointments" and then "Schedule an appointment"
  • Select "Medical care"
  • Select the PRIMARY reason for your visit (NOTE: If you are looking specifically for transgender Care, select "I need an appointment not related to an illness or problem (like a check-up or nutrition visit)"
  • Select "I need transgender care”
  • Answer yes or no to "Is this your first visit for transgender care?" and then enter a call-back number to schedule your appointment

Frequently asked questions

Can Cornell Health provide me with gender-affirming hormone treatment?

Yes, we can evaluate your needs, discuss treatment options, and provide cross-sex hormones if appropriate. We can also work with your home health care provider to continue care that you may have established elsewhere.

Where can I pick up my prescription?

All prescriptions can be filled at the Cornell Health Pharmacy. Syringes, sharps disposal containers, and alcohol swabs are also available at the pharmacy.

How do I handle disposal of my sharps?

You have two options for sharps disposal at Cornell. You can collect your sharps and dispose of them through a local program, or you can purchase a sharps container from the Cornell Health Pharmacy and simply return the container to the front desk (level 3) when it’s full. We will dispose of it for free.

Will my health insurance cover transgender care?

If you’re on Cornell’s Student Health Plan (SHP), hormonal and surgical services to support the process of gender identity confirmation are covered by your plan. Search "gender reassignment" in the SHP Certificate of Coverage (see “Plan Documents” here). For specific information, review the Aetna Clinical Policy Bulletin: Gender Reassignment Surgery. Contact the Office of Student Health Benefits if you need assistance.

If you’re on a Cornell employee endowed health plan, hormone therapy and certain medical procedures related to gender identity confirmation procedures are covered. The Aetna Clinical Policy Bulletin #0615 guides the medically necessary treatment protocol; treatments that are considered cosmetic in nature are not covered. The Empire Health Plan, however, does not offer gender confirmation surgery and several other therapeutic treatments. Please contact Human Resources for more details about employee plans. (NOTE: We do not provide transgender services for employees; however, students who are the children or spouse/partner of a Cornell employee may be covered by an employee plan.)

For students on other plans, you should check your plan for details. Please note that many health insurance plans provide very limited coverage for hormone therapy and surgical procedures related to gender identity confirmation.

Does Cornell Health have a binder program?

Yes. Transgender students at Cornell can get high-quality chest binders at the Cornell Health Pharmacy. You may order two binders per year for no copay. Options include the gc2b white half-tank binder in sizes XS-L and the Underworks white tri-top binder in sizes XL and above. If you know your size, you may order directly from the pharmacy. If you need help taking measurements to know what size to order, please contact Bridget Flanigan, RN, at 607-255-5155 or Bridget can show you samples of the options available and assist you in taking measurements for sizing.

Does Cornell Health provide counseling services for trans students?

Yes. Counseling may be a useful tool in supporting your overall well-being. Cornell Health counselors can also help you secure an official gender dysphoria / gender identity disorder (GID) diagnosis, and draft letters required to initiate gender-related surgeries. To get started, call or go online to schedule an initial “brief phone assessment.” You will then be matched with a counselor. Counseling services for students with a GID diagnosis are provided (primarily) under the direction of Karen Williams, PhD, with support from Anna Matuseiwicz, MD, psychiatrist

What peer support and other campus resources are available?

Cornell's LGBT Resource Center is an excellent resource for personal consultation and information about services, programs, events, and support groups. Be sure to review their webpage about Trans Inclusion on campus and in the local community – including information about restroom / facility use, and support for use of preferred names.

The student organization, "Transitioning at Cornell," provides peer support, information, and resources for students with GID (Gender Identity Disorder) who are medically, legally, and logistically transitioning – or intending to begin transition – at Cornell. If you have questions about the group or are interested in joining, please email