Getting vaccinated each year is the best way to protect yourself – and others – against seasonal influenza.
Annual flu vaccination is always strongly recommended for college students due to the highly contagious nature of influenza and the close proximity within which students live and study. (See information for people who are at higher risk of developing flu-related complications.)
Flu vaccination is especially important during the COVID-19 pandemic to help prevent individuals from conflating symptoms or experiencing both illnesses simultaneously. Campus-wide vaccination is also a vital public health strategy to limit the occurrences and spread of influenza in our community so medical services can be fully available to serve students who may be exposed to COVID.
If you missed our fall flu vaccination clinics, there are still opportunities to get vaccinated before flu season starts.
At Cornell Health
If you are at Cornell Health for a medical appointment, ask for your flu vaccination while you're here. We hope to be able to make appointments for flu vaccination available in the coming weeks (schedulable by phone).
Cost: There is no cost for flu vaccination at Cornell Health.
Other places to get your flu vaccination include:
- Wegmans Pharmacy in downtown Ithaca
- CVS Pharmacy at Target
- Nearby CVS, Kinney Drugs, and Walgreens pharmacies
- Your local primary care provider (staff and faculty only)
Cost: You will be asked to provide your insurance information when getting vaccinated off campus. Flu vaccination is covered by Cornell's student health plans and employee plans, as well as most other insurance plans. (Don't forget your pharmacy insurance card.)
Fall flu vaccination clinics
Our on-campus flu vaccination clinics have concluded for Fall 2021.
Ten clinics were held at various campus locations between early September and mid-November, providing flu vaccination to thousands of Cornell community members.
Each fall, Cornell Health partners with Wegmans Pharmacy to provide our annual on-campus flu vaccination clinics. Clinics are ...
- Open to all – students, staff, faculty, retirees, student spouses/partners, and other community and family members (age 3+)
- FREE for all students, staff, faculty, & retirees (other community members: the cost will depend on your insurance; most plans cover flu vaccination)
- Available vaccine types: regular dose, high dose, and thimerosal-free flu shots available (learn more about flu vaccine types)