Cornell Health does not provide off-campus services for Cornell students.
However, students who are studying outside of Ithaca – Cornell Tech, Cornell in Washington, study abroad programs, etc. – may use our services when visiting the Ithaca campus. (Cornell AgriTech students: see information for you below.)
Please see details and restrictions below.
Additionally, off-campus students may call us at 607-255-5155 to consult with a health care provider about a medical or mental health concern (24/7 for emergencies and urgent concerns). We can help you determine what care you need, and how and when to get it.
On-campus care for visiting Cornell students
This information is for Cornell students who are registered for programs outside of Ithaca.
If you’re on Ithaca’s campus – for an orientation program, or just a visit – please come to see us for in-person care, should you need it.
- Registered undergraduate, graduate, and professional students – no matter where you will be studying
- Continuing Education students taking summer courses, or taking 12+ credits during the academic year
- High school students participating in Cornell’s Summer College program
- If you are not enrolled in a Cornell student health plan (SHP or SHP+), please refer to our Insurance & Billing page for information about which insurance plans we accept.
- During the summer, students who are not enrolled in the Summer Session but plan to enroll for fall semester may receive medical care on a fee-for-service basis. They are not eligible for counseling services.
- Students on leave from the university are not eligible to use our medical and counseling services, but may use pharmacy, physical therapy, and travel clinic services.
Cornell AgriTech students in Geneva, NY
Health care at Cornell Health
As a registered student, you are eligible for Cornell Health’s full range of services when you’re on Cornell’s Ithaca campus.
- If you are enrolled in Cornell’s Student Health Plan (SHP), review see Cost for Service
- If you have private insurance, review Insurance & Billing for information about costs and coverage
Transportation between Geneva and Ithaca may be possible via the use of the intercampus shuttle (pdf). Please note that patient parking is limited, so you should leave extra time in case you need to find other parking on campus.
Health care in the Geneva area (or elsewhere)
SHP coverage: Most Cornell AgriTech students are enrolled in Cornell’s Student Health Plan (SHP).
- SHP copays and co-insurance are the same for all SHP members, no matter where you seek care (whether in Ithaca, at Cornell Tech, or elsewhere).
- Coverage is provided for participating providers and for non-participating providers, though it certainly is better for participating providers. The Summary of Benefits and Coverage (pdf) provides a good snap shot.
- For the maximum coverage, use Aetna’s DocFind service to find "preferred" medical and mental health providers in the Geneva area (and anywhere in the country).
- If you choose to see a "non-preferred" provider, SHP provides more limited coverage.
- Make sure you understand your coverage when making health care choices. The Student Health Benefits staff are happy to talk with you about any questions or concerns you might have.
For primary care:
- Students with SHP may use the primary care provider of their choice, whether in Ithaca, Geneva, or anywhere in the country.
- Geneva students also have the option to establish (or continue) their care with a primary care provider at Cornell Health.
For specialist care: SHP does not require a referral – from Cornell Health or another primary care provider – for the SHP member to see a specialist.